Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

The novel is about 4 children, Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy, who are sent to live with a relative in a country house during World War II. The children find a closet in the house which leads to a magical land called Narnia, which is full of talking animals, fauns, and other enchanted creatures. Edmund meets and evil White Witch who tricks him into betraying his siblings. The once ruler of Narnia, Aslan the lion, returns to help the children defeat the evil queen. I had half read this novel when I was much younger but I remember what the cover looked like better than what the actual story. Now, reading it for a second time I go so much more out of it. The book deals with serious themes in a way children can understand. For example Edmund shows his selfish human nature by selling out his family for a few turkish delights from the white queen. But it equally demonstrates selflessness and strong family values when Peter and the other siblings rescue Edmund despite his previous actions. However I really did no like the religious comparison the stressed sense of heiarchy. I am sure there was another way the story could have been resolved besides Aslan being crucified like a lion version of Jesus. In that case I guess Edmund would be Judas (which is a little harsh for a naive kid) and the witch would be satan. I think that this is a wonderful story in general because of the descriptions, the animals and all the positive aspects. I just wish it would not push Catholicism so much on the readers, because once you pick up on it, it is hard to ignore.

No comments:

Post a Comment